Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Two Girls One Earthship

I don't want to go into too much (might get me into trouble) detail, but y'all, I am having a great time at my new job! I am doing something interesting, for goodness sake! I am so thankful for a fun and challenging work-life after almost a year of "Thank you for calling CrapityCrap, this is Megan speaking, how may I help you vent your anger and frustration at a member of the public who also happens to be able to make decisions about YOUR MONEY?" (Ok, maybe the phone verbiage was a liiiiittle different than that). Not bitter. Not bitter at all.

Anyway, moving along, another perk of my new job is that THERE ARE PEOPLE THERE I CAN RELATE TO. Case in point: the first day, I sat down in the lobby to wait for the HR people to come get us, and there was a girl sitting across from me with not one, but two mugs of coffee. Brain says: We are going to be friends. Then I noticed her cool, semi-hipster style. Then I noticed her gorgeous wedding band/engagement ring set. Wait. Hold the presses. There are other young married people out there?! Turns out... this girl and I are on the same team! Not only the same team, we sit next to each other in our small country of cubicles. Not only cube-mates, but we quickly discover that we are baaaaasically the same person, and just as speedily develop a reputation as "The Social Butterflies" of our training group (Good or bad? Don't know yet. Ask me after my first review.) and begin referring to each other as "my work wife" (And our poor husbands just shake their heads. "Aren't you supposed to have a work husband?" "No. No. No. You just don't understand.").

Sooooo that whole huge, long introduction was a way of introducing this HILARIOUS episode from today:

As part of our new position, all of us have to take Building Construction Training, which is essentially learning about all different types of home construction (and all the issues the types of construction can cause) and all the different systems found within your average (and not-so-average) home. So, if you will, imagine (without laughing) little old me, Miss English Major, Miss I-have-an-unhealthy-obsession-with-Shakespeare, learning to speak with authority (ha) about soffits and crickets and geodesic domes (Excuse me? Exactly.).

Most days, Work Wife and I end up having a completely serious conversation about something that anyone with an ounce of construction/handyman sense would find ridiculous.

Example: "I have to ask my husband later if our roof has vents. Do all roofs have vents? Is that only in older homes? I think it's only in older homes."

Another example:  "I don't want to watch this video about sewer systems. I know they are talking about poop. All of the examples involve something brown and watery."

And then there's today. Today we were learning about non-conventional construction and we came across the Earthship.  For those of you who have never heard of this type of structure... rest assured, you are in the majority. If you feel the need to be educated, go here: http://earthship.com/. If not, here is a photo:

These homes are made out of recycled tires! They are super eco-friendly and weird.
Anyway, let's just say that it had been a long day, and we were all a little tired and punch drunk. Here is the glorious conversation that ensued (via our office messenger):

    WW‎‎ [4:04 PM]:
i want an earthshit
earthship. finger slip!!!!!!!!!!!
‎‎Me [4:04 PM]:
not too far from the truth
actually
‎‎Me‎‎ [4:05 PM]:
do you know how far the P and the T are from each other on the keyboard?!
‎‎WW‎‎ [4:05 PM]:
i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that, folks, is just another day at the office.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment