Thursday, January 5, 2012

100 Things to Eat Before You Die

If you haven't already noticed from the wine reviews and the snotty comments about Champagne, I am somewhat of a foodie! I love eating new things and trying different regional specialties (remind me sometime to tell you all about my rude introduction to Country Ham, courtesy of my sweet MIL). So to make a long story short... Actually, why make it short? Here's the long: I was Facebook stalking a guy I knew in college who was three years older than me, and who I thought was gorgeous and smart and amazing until he crushed my dreams by coming out... and HE had this list of "100 Foods to Eat Before You Die" shared on his account along with the number of them he had eaten (64... which I have to say is not nearly as impressive as my 70). After I looked through the list I decided to post it here and share it with all of you (along with my loooove of trying new foods)... Aren't you lucky!

So without further ado.... Here are the 100 Foods (you must!) Eat Before You Die... accompanied by colorful editorial comments by yours truly. Again, aren't you lucky!...??................??


100 Things to Eat Before You Die

1. Venison: Yes. Also Deer Jerkey. Yum.
2. Nettle tea: No
3. Huevos rancheros: Yes
4. Steak tartare: Yes. At JG’s in Washington, D.C. @MeganSeston (I'm sorry that I tag Twitter-style when I'm obviously not on Twitter. It's one of my many flaws. Love me anyway?)
5. Crocodile: Yes
6. Black pudding: Never would I EVER

7. Cheese fondue: Yes
8. Carp: Not that into fish
9. Borscht: No
10. Baba ghanoush: Yes
11. Calamari: Yes. Never Again.
12. Pho: Yes
13. PB&J sandwich: Yes
14. Aloo gobi: Yes
15. Hot dog from a street cart: Yes. Shout out to the cart that sits across from the National Portrait Gallery.
16. Epoisses: No
17. Black truffle: In the most delicious Truffled Mac and Cheese I’ve ever eaten. At Smith & Wollensky in Dallas.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes: Strawberry Wiiiiiiiine (Very few know the true meaning of this reference. Haha)
19. Steamed pork buns: Yes
20. Pistachio ice cream: Yes
21. Heirloom tomatoes: Yes
22. Fresh wild berries: Yes
23. Foie gras: Yes (So divine. Except for the way it’s made. Which makes it not so divine if you have a heart.)
24. Rice and beans: Yes
25. Brawn, or head cheese: Yeeech. And No.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper: No because I am NOT a lunatic and I value my tastebuds.
27. Dulce de leche: Yes

28. Oysters: Yes. Bay Oysters in Galveston, TX. BIG mistake.
29. Baklava: Yes
30. Bagna cauda: No

31. Wasabi peas: Yes. Yuck.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl: Yes. Not a clam fan.
33. Salted lassi: Yes
34. Sauerkraut: Yes. Yummmmmm.
35. Root beer float: Yes
36. Cognac with a fat cigar: No. Haven’t had cognac and I can’t STAND the smell of cigars.

37. Clotted cream tea: Yes
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot: Hahaha Yes.
39. Gumbo: Yes
40. Oxtail: No
41. Curried goat: Yes, weirdly enough. 

42. Whole insects: Does at the bottom of a tequila shot count? Then yes.
43. Phaal: No
44. Goat’s milk: Yes
45. Single malt whisky: Yes
46. Fugu: Yes
47. Chicken tikka masala: One of my favorite comfort foods of all time
48. Eel: No
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut: Hot and fresh. Yes.
50. Sea urchin: No
51. Prickly pear: Only in martini form.
52. Umeboshi: Yes
53. Abalone: No
54. Paneer: No
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal: Yes
56. Spaetzle: Yes

57. Dirty gin martini: Yes
58. Beer above 8% ABV: Yes

59. Poutine: No
60. Carob chips: No
61. S’mores: Yes
62. Sweetbreads: Nope. Can’t do it.
63. Kaolin: No
64. Currywurst: No
65. Durian: No
66. Frogs’ legs: Yes
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake: All. Of. The. Above.
68. Haggis: Can’t and won’t.
69. Fried plantain: Yes
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette: No
71. Gazpacho: Yes
72. Caviar and blini: Weirdly, no.
73. Louche absinthe: Oh college. Yes.
74. Gjetost, or brunost: No
75. Roadkill: Almost had squirrel stew once. Almost.
76. Baijiu: No
77. Hostess Fruit Pie: Yes (Sidenote: Why have I answered “Yes” to all of the gross greasy American things??)
78. Snail: Ahhh Escargots with butter and garlic. Butter. Is there anything better than butter?
79. Lapsang souchong: No
80. Bellini: Yes. Yes to anything with Champagne.
81. Tom yum: No
82. Eggs Benedict: Yes. Even better? Eggs Chesapeake.
83. Pocky: Yes
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant: Not yet.
85. Kobe beef: No
86. Hare: No

87. Goulash: Yes. I am 50% Hungarian after all.
88. Flowers: Yes, on desserts?
89. Horse: No
90. Criollo: No
91. Spam: Yummmm.
92. Soft shell crab: Can’t get over the “eat the shell” thing.
93. Rose harissa: No
94. Catfish: So many times.
95. Mole poblano: Yes. Droooooool.
96. Bagel and lox: Never had lox.
97. Lobster Thermidor: Alas, Julia Child, I have not.
98. Polenta: Yes. Another fave comfort food
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee: Is this “special coffee”? No.
100. Snake: No. But someday I will, with Michael Douglas, inside the fuselage of a crashed drug-running plane. (Name that movie?)

So how many have YOU eaten? 

No comments:

Post a Comment